- Intensive Instructional Coaching Institute Registration - Please double check for availability before making travel arrangements. Feb 26-March 2, 2018
February 26, 2018 - March 2, 2018
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Event Phone: (714) 861-4470
To succeed, Instructional Coaches need deep knowledge and skills in at least six essential domains: (1) adult learning (2) an instructional coaching cycle, (3) using video recordings to gather data, (4) instructional practices described in an instructional playbook, (5) communication skills, and (6) leadership skills. Based on the content in Jim Knight’s books, this five-day intensive institute offers professional development addressing all six areas.
Specifically, this institute addresses the following guiding questions:
- What are the five core concepts of change literacy, and how should instructional coaches address those concepts during coaching?
- What are the partnership principles, and how should coaches use them to guide their interactions?
- What is the Impact Cycle, and how should it be employed by coaches in partnership with teachers to set goals and identify teaching strategies to hit goals, to ensure teachers understand new teaching strategies, and to provide support until teachers hit the identified goals?
- What are PEERS goals, how are they different from SMART goals, and how should they be used to guide coaching?
- Why is video recording an essential part of instructional coaching, and what can coaches do to dramatically decrease teacher resistance to video recording their lessons?
- What data should instructional coaches gather to help teachers set goals and to monitor progress toward goals?
- What is an instructional playbook, and which high-impact teaching strategies should be a part of any playbook?
- What are the communication beliefs and habits that lead to the kind of learning conversations that are essential for effective coaching, and how can coaches master those beliefs and habits?
- How should coaches lead to have the greatest positive impact on teaching and learning?
Participants will receive the following books, which will be texts for the five days of the institute:
- A copy of Jim Knight’s new book, The Impact Cycle, and a copy of The Impact Cycle Reflection Guide
- Focus on Teaching: Using Video for High-Impact Instruction
- High-Impact Instruction: A Framework for Great Teaching
- The High-Impact Instruction Workbook
- Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Others to Be More Credible, Caring, and Connected
- The Better Conversations Reflection Guide
The Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
500 Pacific Coast Highway Huntington Beach, CA 92648
These workshop are limited to 100 participants. Please double check for availability before making travel arrangements.
February 26 – March 2, 2018
Monday to Thursday 8:30 – 4:00; Friday 8:30 – 3:00. Breakfast is served from 8:00-8:30
Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are provided
Venue: The Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel
Venue Website: http://www.shorebreakhotel.comAddress: